Tamarack Country Club was originally organized as the Port Chester Country Club in 1909. Located on the present site of the Port Chester, New York High School, it was a nine hole course until the summer of 1925 when an additional nine hole course was added. It is interesting to note, in light of the present day conditions, that Club dues in early times were $25.00 yearly, and the entire acreage required for the golf course rented for $550.00. The first clubhouse was built for the munificent sum of $750.00. During the initial years the fairways were maintained by the judicious employment of a flock of sheep, a more colorful but perhaps less effective method than the complex machinery utilized today.
In 1928, the club was forced to move from Port Chester locale because of the desire of the town to purchase the land for a new high school. The $242,000.00 realized on the sale made it possible, after a careful search and survey, for the far sighted Board to buy the Griffen Farm holding on Locust Road in the verdant back country section of Greenwich, Connecticut.
Thus began the illustrious history of the present Club. Named after the many “Tamarack “ trees that are indigenous to the area, the course was designed by Charles H. Banks, also well known for laying out the fine Yale course in New Haven, Conn. The first, second, fifth and seventh holes were fashioned through dense woods and evidence of this effort is clearly reflected by present day terrain features. In 1929, on July 4th, the new clubhouse was opened. Costing approximately $190,000.00, it was erected under the supervision of Frank A. Moore, a leading golf club architect of the era. The Tamarack course was, from inception, nationally recognized as one of the finest and most rewarding to play in the entire country.
Its charm stems from a layout utilizing, to maximum effect, the rolling but not severe hills and natural countryside of its 500 feet above sea level elevation. The surrounding pristine ridges and tree-laden valleys, and the virtually uncluttered skyline, all combine to insure a peaceful, tranquil setting. In a fast-growing suburban area, this combination is hard to duplicate.
Keeping tempo with the times, Tamarack installed an elaborate watering system including two new artificial lakes during 1965, and added a spacious golf cart barn a year later. This cart barn proved to be a fortuitous project because on April 18, 1967 tragedy stuck! A fire of unknown origin, started in the early morning hours and left the stately clubhouse a hollow and completely gutted shell. An era had come to and end.
The Tamarack spirit fully embodied in the 250 members, some of whom had seen the Club move from the modest Port Chester beginnings, immediately took action. A temporary but adequate Clubhouse was blocked out from the newly completed cart barn and plans were drawn for Tamarack’s second clubhouse of the century. Built on the site of the existing foundation at an estimated cost of $1,400,000.00, it encompasses all the features and refinements necessary to make it a showcase of outstanding, tasteful country club living. The Olympic size pool and cabana were moved to a carefully selected area away from the main edifice. They were completed and opened for use in the fall of 1968. The main Clubhouse was ready for occupancy in the summer of 1969. From the vast porch area completely surrounding three quarters of the Club, the present day Tamarack member is able to see almost all of his beautiful gold course. Shortly after the new Clubhouse was opened in 1969, the Board of Governors recommended, and the Certificate Holders approved, the installation of four all weather tennis courts. The courts were completed and ready for use in 1973. In so doing, Tamarack has added to the list of facilities available for the enjoyment of its members.
Again, Tamarack looks forward to the future. 1909 was the year it all started. In 1929, certainly a time when courageous men would undertake a risk adventure, Tamarack built a new Clubhouse. Forty years later, in 1969, Tamarack again obliged to build a new clubhouse-and face the uncertain future with the same unwavering faith those few men did when they started years ago in the Port Chester meadowlands. Tamarack now looks forward to the future.